Saturday, November 15, 2008

Jake and scissors

Have you ever thought or said to your child "What were you thinking?" It seems like I say this more to Jake now than ever before. Over the past few weeks Jake has gotten himself into a lot of trouble. Below is a list of items he has felt the need to destroy.


#1 His shoe lace.

Nothing bugs me more than when my shoes can still be worn, but the shoelace wears out. So you tie a knot to keep the lace a little longer. Jake was compelled to just cut his shoe lace, no reason given, he just cut it. I took the scissors away and told him he is NEVER to cut anything without my permission. You can see the knot on right side of the shoelace.


#2 The trampoline ties
Jake had his friend Law over for the afternoon. While the weather was still nice, the two jumped on the tramp. Well that only lasted so long. Boredom took over and they threw the wood chips from the ground onto the tramp. Once the tramp was covered, I went out and told them they needed to clean these off. Told Jake, yet again, do not put the wood chips on the tramp.
A few minutes later I look out the kitchen window to check on their progress. As I looked out the window I see the pads on the ground. I thought, "How did Jake get those off?" Sprint to the cupboard and see that the same scissors used to cut the shoelace are gone. Holy crap! I run outside to see what the damage is. Jake has cut 2 of the 3 ties used to keep the pads on. He would of gotten them all off, but I stopped him.......not soon enough though. I asked him about our conversation we had the other day about scissors. His response was "It is easier to clean off the chips without these in the way." I had the talk with him again about no cutting and tied the pads back down the best I could.


#3 Samie's Bean bag chair cover

A few years ago, Stu and I got Samie a bean bag chair from the Lillian Vernon Kids catalog. Purple gingham with her name embroidered on it. It was a pretty penny, but matched her room and she enjoyed it. For Sam's 9th birthday, we changed her room from purple to pink and brown. The bean bag no longer matched. I put it at the bottom of Jake's closet because he had more room.

Jake decided if the chair was in his room he would not be having anything to do with purple. After the first incident with the scissors, I gathered up all the ones I could find and put them up high (not like that would stop Jake, he climbs, jumps etc. He is all boy!). Samie had left a pair in her room because she was working on something. Jake, inevitably found them and removed the purple fabric from the bean bag chair. Lucky for me, the cover is separate from the 'beans'. When I asked him about this incident, he just said "I couldn't find the zipper and I didn't want this on here!" Oh, well that just makes it all better!

Yes, this is my son. He gives Dennis the menace a run for his money. I wouldn't trade him for anything, but then no one has made me an offer....

1 comments:

Kristi said...

Hilarious! I am still laughing about the tramp thing. Boys....can't live with them and can't kill them because they are so darn cute. :)