Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Florida and cell phones DO NOT mix part 2

As promised, here is the 2nd installment of our luck with cell phones.
We stayed in Key Largo for a couple of days between Marco Island and Jensen Beach. During our stay in Key Largo, Stu thought it would be fun to go kayaking. Personally, I hate to kayak. I have little, if any, upper body strength. As were are getting ready to "push off", Stu hands me his cell phone and the camera. The person helping us said "Most people leave their cell phones on land." Stu replied "It is ok, it is insured."

So off we went. Jake and Stu were in one and Samie and I in the other. Looks like fun huh? Not so much. You see those trees in the water? Well they are not nice! If you get too close to them the scratch the crap out of you and pull your hair. I know what you are thinking, why just stay out of them? Well when you have no upper body strength, the damn kayak just goes where it wants, which is right into those trees.

Where am I going with this? Well in the water of course. Yes, I have Stu's cell phone and the camera. I cannot believe it. Really! Another phone and our camera! As Samie and I are in the water I just keep trying to get the camera out of the water. I didn't want that to be ruined.

So not only did we fall into the water, but now we have to get out of the water. When the kids and I went to see Allisa in Arizona, we went to a lake to swim. In the middle of the lake there were Boy Scouts learning to tip their canoes and get back into the water. Lucky for Sam and I we watched and had no problem getting the kayak back to normal. We did have issues getting back into the kayak. Again, no upper body strength. Stu finally had to jump in and push up into the kayak. The whole time this was going on Jake kept telling us we owed him and Stu $20.00 for a rescue fee.

After our little swim we turned in our kayak and I went to see what the damage was with the phone and camera. Stu's phone would not even turn on and neither would the camera. I was able to get the pictures off the memory card, so all was not lost. We thought if it dried out more, we would be ok, but nope. There was a water drop right in the middle of the screen.

So now we are down to Samie's phone that is almost dead and no camera. We still have another week left of our vacation. What are we to do.

Our cell phone plan was up for renewal, so we went to the only Verizon store and got new phones. I got a new one with the internet and got Samie a new one too. All is right with the world again.......until the next time..........we are still not done with cell phones and Florida.

1 comments:

Allisa said...

I love this! My favorite part is Jake saying you owed him a rescue fee.