Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Back to School! Back to School! (Any Billy Madison fans out there?)

Oh yes it is true, both of my kids are in school all day. 8:25 am - 3:25 pm to be exact. Not that I am keeping track, but the day was July 28th, 2009.


Stu and I have experienced the 1st day of school with Samie 5 times and Jake once. I must say during the years I have never cried or run up to the door/window when my children were lead away to get one last look. (yes I saw plenty of parents do this) Don't get me wrong I did have a camera and took pictures.

This first day of school was different because Jake was indeed going to school ALL day. Samie started her first day on the 27th. I guess the first graders need to meet their teachers on the first day while the rest of the school, minus kindergartners, actually attend.

When I went to school it was not like this at all. I was dropped off, late usually, and had to go meet my teachers myself. I can't speak about kindergarten, but I am sure that is how it worked the rest of the years. I better ask my brother Mike for clarification, he remembers everything.

Stu and I took Jake up to where his class was standing and found his best friend Law. Lucky for Jake they are in the same class. Unlucky for teacher and parents they are in the same class (more to follow on this issue).

We did the picture taking thing and gave the talk about being good, listen to the teacher that sort of thing. Teacher came out to get the class. We had meet her the day prior and she seemed very nice. I had also heard good things about her. Then the children were lead away. One little girl was crying along with several parents. Not us though. I was nearly skipping back to the car. Parents were looking at me like I was on some sort of drug. How could anyone be skipping back to their car when their child was growing up and off to their first day of all day school? My thought was how could you not? I have never been one for sentimental things, so why start now.

I tell you what ladies and gentlemen, skipping back to my car was like reaching the end of the "tunnel". I was embraced by such light and warmth it was hard to contain my joy. After 6 years of him being at home with me, he was no longer there. Ah freedom I had indeed reach the end of the "kids at home tunnel". This was going to be nice. I can only imagine how my mother felt when Kristi (baby sister) finally went off to school all day.

Now the big question I am asked is "What to do with your time?". I did have to work as soon as I got home on Tuesday, but I did have an hour without kids. I believe I was able to shower without anyone poking their head in wondering if they could play or asking me to help open a can.

As you can imagine I had big plans for the next day when I did not have to work. Yes, I cleaned the house and it was able to stay clean most of the day. I decided to pace myself with fun activities to do while the kids are in school. I do have 12 years of this, I didn't want to run out of things to do the first week.
Needless to say life was good..........until Wednesday, the 2nd day of 1st grade for Jake. He came home and had received a red card in class. The school system runs a little pansy for my taste. Again, when I went to school there were no warning or card flipping. If you got in trouble you were hauled out of class and that was that. If you were really bad you were put in a wooden partition so you could hear the teacher, but not see them or the kids (I wonder if this is why I am claustrophobic?). I turned out ok. What seems to be the problem with that? Evidently it doesn't work this way. Kids are given green, yellow, red and I think blue and black cards. If you stay on green, it is all good. Yellow is a warning and red you start getting into trouble. I hope I never get to blue and black.

I do understand the first week of school the teacher is trying to let the children know what is going to be acceptable and what will not. Obviously what Jake was doing was not going to work. I did find out that Law also received a red card. I thought "oh great,this is going to be a long year."

As a mother I had to do the discipline stuff. No friends or Xbox for a couple of days. Any longer than that is like grounding me and I didn't do anything wrong. Why should I be punished? I told Jake if he can stay on green the rest of the week we would let him have his friends and Xbox back.

The rest of the week Jake stayed on green. I thought this is great, he has gotten it out of his system......until yesterday. Jake got another red card (Law got a yellow). Holy Crap! What is the deal? Instead of just getting a "mark" in his planner, he was also taken to a different teacher for 30 mins. I think he missed his lunch recess. This teacher made him write down what he was going to do to make it so he doesn't get on red again. I had to sign the paper and do the whole grounding thing again. This kid has been in school for 6 days people, 6 days! I just don't know what to do. Now I am waiting with bated breath everyday after school to see if Jake is on green.

I have now realized there is a new "tunnel" I am in. This tunnel is 12 years long. Right now it is dark and cold and not a happy place to be. Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Story of my freaking life.

Today I dropped the kids off to school and yelled out "Go Green Jake" I hope he didn't think I meant to recycle his papers and not throw them away.
Jake and Law
Samie

6 comments:

Amy said...

You are so dang hilarious!

Tracey said...

hey School is in!! YIPEE!!! When are we going to go to wendover for the day! we can leave a 8:26 and be back by 3:24!

Kristi said...

Okay I am laughing so hard right now! I can't tell you how many times I had to clean that box they put around us in school. :)

Yeah for full day, but I can only imagine the anticipation of the cards. He is great and we love him to pieces red, blue or black!

Please don't let the kid get confused and start going Al Gore on us, that would just be too much! :)

HILARIOUS as usually my sista! And yes mom was sad when I went to school (who wouldn't want to hang with me all day!)

♥Concerned♥ said...

I feel a little left out. I am the same age, but at West Kearns there was no box put around us. When I got in trouble I got a white slip!

Jodee said...

You make me laugh! So how do you feel about those teachers that have the kids go from green, then yellow, then red? My blue is between green and yellow as a warning. They call home on red. I would like to know from your perspective if you would hate me as a teacher. :-) Love ya!

Amy said...

Zac was kind of the same way, turning cards and all. He has gotten better through the years. Good luck! and enjoy the kid free time!